- Look for cover - something that will protect you from falling objects.
- Protect your head.
- If indoors - stay there - get under a desk or table.
- Stay away from windows and large panes of glass and mirrors.
- Move wheelchairs to doorway with overhead support, and lock wheels.
- Move to an open area away from falling hazards.
- Avoid wires above or on the ground because they could be energized with electricity.
- After the initial shock, be prepared for more aftershocks and damage.
- Evacuate as necessary and always follow the directions of emergency personnel including police, fire, medical, CERT teams, Department Safety Leaders, and manager/supervisors.